American College of Veterinary Emergency & Critical Care
    How do I know if I need an ACVECC specialist?
    As a pet owner, how do you know if you need an ACVECC specialist?
    First, ask your veterinarian. Any pet that is seriously ill may benefit from this type of specialist care (ideally in a 24/7 facility). Patients requiring frequent blood pressure monitoring, heart monitoring, electrolyte/acid-base blood work monitoring, frequent blood sugar monitoring, intravenous fluids, blood transfusions, etc.  are typically ones that may need a specialist. Other examples include:
    • Any trauma (e.g., those hit by cars, attacked by other animals, knife or burn injuries, etc.)
    • Any animal having difficulty breathing
    • Any patient requiring transfusions
    • Any patient with a life-threatening poisoning
    • Any patient with signs of shock (e.g., such as an elevated or very slow heart rate, low blood pressure, pale gums, collapse, etc.).
    • Any patient with uncontrollable seizures or neurologic signs (e.g., coma, non-responsiveness, etc.)
    • Any patient that may not be producing urine or is having difficulty urinating
    • Any patient with life-threatening complications (e.g., pneumonia, organ failure, clotting problems, blood pressure abnormalities, etc.)
    • Any patient with organ failure (e.g., congestive heart failure, kidney failure, etc.)
    • Any patient not responding well from anesthesia, or not responding well to current treatment
    While this list isn't all inclusive, please contact your veterinarian or local specialist to find out more. Specialists want to work with your veterinarian as a team to best treat your pet!